Thursday 17 November 2011

Quiver

I am getting tired of leaving my arrows lying about in a box.  To remedy the situation, I'm building myself a quiver, loosely based on and inspired by the Anglo-Saxon quivers I saw on the Reverend's Big Blog of Leather here.  Mine I built slightly differently than his, as I also wanted to have an integral arrow cover, like the Hedeby quiver discussed here.  I will be posting photos of progress shortly.

I am having a slight problem with curvature of the sides.  Because I used a small shoulder from Tandy, I couldn't fit my quiver pattern on the leather following the body of the animal.  I am finding that by having the length of the quiver run perpendicular to the spine of the animal, the curve is not terribly smooth.  I'm going to try to remedy this by NOT dying the leather until after it's sewn, then hopefully when I dye the leather the moisture in the dye will allow the leather to curve more smoothly.

On a related note, another problem I'm having is in finding coad for sewing the leather.  I have found this to be called handwax or shoemaker's wax also.  I have some recipes calling for a 2:1 ration of rosin to beeswax, and others calling for pitch and rosin.  Time to start cooking the stuff myself I guess.  I think my darling wife would have a stroke if I used her stove, so I am now also looking for a portable hot plate...

No comments:

Post a Comment